Owen bids to repair damage from Sven gaffe


Instead the England striker finds himself attempting to repair a fracture in his relationship with Newcastle's fans caused by Sven-Goran Eriksson's ill-considered suggestion that he is unhappy at Newcastle and only joined the Magpies for the money.

Eriksson's claim was made during an indiscreet discussion with an under-cover reporter posing as a sheikh claiming to be interested in taking over Aston Villa and installing the England manager as boss of the Midlands club.

Along with a description of Rio Ferdinand as "lazy", it was the comments about Owen which were most embarassing for Eriksson because they appeared to confirm an impression that was already firmly implanted in the minds of many Newcastle fans.

Owen, who has just had the cast on his broken foot removed, insisted however that he was happy on Tyneside following his 16-million-pound move from Real Madrid in August.

"I'm enjoying my time here," the 26-year-old claimed. "I enjoyed it out in Madrid, but there is nothing quite like being in the English Premier League and I've not been disappointed since I've been here."

Former Liverpool striker Owen angered Newcastle fans when he voiced frustration over his latest injury in terms of England's World Cup plans without mentioning the club's prospects for the rest of the season.

In an attempt to repair the damage caused by that oversight and Eriksson's ill-judged remarks, Owen said he had been touched by the reception he has had from the Magpies' faithful.

"You always want to repay them for the support they've given you in producing good performances on the pitch. When I'm fit I'm sure I will do that."

Owen had surgery on his foot on January 3 and is not expected to resume playing until mid-March at the earliest.

"I've had the stitches out, the cast is off, and it's all go now," he reported. "I'm not sure about time limits but I'm certainly looking forward to pulling on a black and white shirt again.

"I'm looking at my next targets now. The next one is getting on the bike, then the treadmill, running, and then kicking the ball again.

"As much as it still seems a few weeks away, I'm looking forward to it already. I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

"Thankfully I am going to be back for a decent part of the season and hopefully back into a team playing well. I'm excited about coming back already."

(Source: AFP)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Rooney Profile

Cristiano Ronaldo Profile

Lionel Messi Profile